Lombardy Region plays the role of industrial policy maker by managing funds and establishing development programs with institution and stakeholders.
The Lombardy industrial clusters crossed over the traditional concept of Industrial District by overcoming the boundaries of localization and customer/supplier relationships, according to the following guidelines:
- competitiveness through collaboration;
- know-how transfer and sharing promotion of system companies/integrators.
The food and farming research carried out here looks into the strategic importance of the entire chain of production:
- boosting farm production, and control of farming environmental impact;
- developing new diagnostic systems; developing new production processes;
- improving the taste and nutritional value of farm products;
- new technologies for food conservation and distribution;
- product quality control and safeguarding human health.
Lombardy enjoys an outstanding position in agricultural and food research: 88 research centres, public and private, working on food-related applications (and associated issues) and 195 centres all over the region engaged in biological and environmental science as it affects farming.
Maria Carla Ambrosini
DG Productive Activities, Research and Innovation
Piazza Città di Lombardia 1